Sunday, December 12, 2010

Chin Woo Biathlon - 12 Dec'10

I missed this race last year as I was down with fever and flu. Thus, I made it a point to compete and complete the race this year. Though, I had another race yesterday, I wanted to take part in this race as it's unique on it's own.

When I get there, I met Jeff Ooi today morning and was having my power bar as my pre race supplement. Then we went and checked out our name list and there were 42 of them in my category. Perhaps, most of them opted for Asia Masters Run at Dataran Merdeka which was held simultaneously.

We got our body marked with the number. As the advices received from other participants, they told me that only if you are a Triathlete, you can go fast or push yourself, else, just enjoy yourself. I took their point as I never competed in any swimming competition before. Furthermore, I never went for any swimming class nor knows the proper technique.

My category started at 8.30am which was after the kids and juniors category. It was good that they started in time. During training I clocked 40minutes for 600m, damn, so I thought I may clock 1 hour for 800M during competition.

They awarded me lane 3 and I had to share with another participant. When I got into the pool, damn, I was drowned as the height was 2.5metre. Then only I realise, the 1st 5 lanes will be the deepest as its used for diving.

The marshal asked me wheter I'm alright. I requested her for shallower lane so that I can swim confidently. Then another marshal came by and said no problem and changed me to lane 18 which was only 1.4 metre. The marshal also said, don't worry, you are here to enjoy the race and be courage full to finish the race. Another participant beside me, told that, top 3 winners will b e the triathletes, so why worry, just take it easy, furthermore, its your 1st time, so just get the exposure.

As the race beginned, I went slow. After 750M, the marshal said I'm done with race, so I can continue the next discipline. I quickly, put on my shoe and just hold the running vest and got off from the pool. While I was heading to Jalan Hang Jebat, I wear my vest and there you go for 3 loops of 6km.

When I was swimming 300M, the 1st guy came out from the pool. Wow, that guy was actually the Malaysian Athlete whom participated in Guangzhou Asian Games. As I was one of the last swimmers whom came out from the pool, I had to catch up with the rest. While I was going for 1st loop, I manage to overtake 2 runners, so that gave me a boost.

At 2nd loop, another few runners I over took and when I was at the final 500M which was killing high hill, I was still manage to overtake another 2 runners. The route was ups and downs of the hills, but there were good support from the marshals whom were cheering for the runners.

My running experience gave me a bit of advantage to overtake the slow runners and able to get top30 although I don't know whats my exact position. But as I finished the race, I clocked 1:00:49 and I really felt satisfied for the competition itself.

Another milestone in my life.

Looking forward for Mallakof run next week.

No comments: