Sunday, August 29, 2010

Pacemakers Anniversary Relay - 29 Aug


My first race at Taman Metropolitan Kepong. When I woke up, it was drizzling, but I still went on, else procrastination will take place. Upon reaching there, saw the organising team getting ready for the event. As I was waiting, Amutha called me and confirmed that she is coming to the event. That gave me additional boost to secure top 6 position for the competition. My was comprising of Amutha (Female Lead), Suresh (veteran, 2nd runner), Thurei (Upcoming star, 3rd runner) and myself as the anchor.

As this is the final relay for Suresh before he bid Adios by end of the year, we wow to make it a sweet ending for him.

As the race started, I knew top 6 would be the modest target by witnessing 2 teams from Klang Pacers, 1 from Malaysia Airlines and "Imported" team by Daniel Tan and Stanley.

Amutha made a good start by finishing fourth before passing it to Suresh. Being with Richard and Jasni, it made tough for Suresh but he still made it at 6th position, 25 seconds in front of Cari Runners.

As Thurei took the baton, he widened the gap between Cari Runner and manage to overtake Daniel Tan's teamate and gave me the baton at 5th place. As I grabbed the baton, I didn't turn back and just pushed myself.

After 500M, I saw Casey (Daniel Tan's team) overtaking me. I knew, I cant overtake him by looking at his strength, but I tried to maintain 50M gap for the first 1.5km.

Lack of experience in that track pulled my speed down as I had to overcome 5 mini hills. Upon reaching to the bridge, The route was flat and it was only 1km left but my endurance was reducing. I was paced by a Chinese boy (non competitor) for the last 1km before overtaking him as Suresh was there to pace me for a while.

I was just wondering, when the finishing lane is going to come. Finally, I heard some cheer as I reached final 200M. When I crossed the lane, I just sat down, as It was really a breath taking moment. Ronnie came and put the tag on me to confirm i got 6th placing.

Happy to come back home with a trophy and sweet ending for Suresh before he jumps into swimming and cycling. Next race will be Larian patriotk at klang tomorrow (night race).

2 comments:

dannie chOOng said...

congrat on your 6th position, and the good race report here !!! :)

Anonymous said...

did u notice the error on analysis of position on each leg while changing baton which is posted on pm1 blog..

~thurai