Sunday, June 28, 2009

Standard Chartered KL Marathon-28 June'09


I completed my first marathon! Greatest Achievement of my life.
Timing: 4hrs 2min flat.

Route: Dataran > Brickfields > Jln Lok Yew > Kg Pandan > Jln Tun Razak > GH > Jln Ipoh > Kampung Baru > KLCC > Bkt Bintang > Petaling Street > Istana Negara > Jln Parlimen > Wisma Tani > Bank Negara > Maju Junction > Sogo > Dataran

It was drizilling when the race started. I followed Teck Sin till 17km. It was all going well with my pacing of 5minits per km. Upon that I felt Teck Sin was fast or I was too slow, I left him and run on my own pace. I did 1 hour 49min at 21km mark. I was happy as Im still within my targt of finishing within 4 hours.

Interesting part started later, wehn at 32km mark my right knee started aching. I still pushed myself. at 5km mark my left knee also started aching. Furthermore, I was dehydrated as my body was dried after every water station upon 30km mark. I took atleat 5cups per water station but still could not satisfy.

At final 9km, 10km runners joined us and I used them as my pacer. However, at my last 5km, I was really slow, both my kness weer aching. I had to walk n run. This allowed alot of people to overtake me.

I started to feel hungry at Jln Tun Razak, luckily there was banana. So I took half of it. At Petaling street, I got Powergell which kept my stomach filled. But crapy organisers never put the water station nearby the powergell.

When I came to BSKL, I saw Murali was walking and he said he cant go anymore. I just said "Come on".

When I reached Sogo, I thought I will be turning in but they ask marathon runners to run further till Maju Junction. That demotivated me.

Whatever, when I came to Sogo, I knew I was just a kilometre away from completion. So I strived to push myself and made it to finishing line. I heard some people cheering for me at towards finishing line. Upon completion, I just went and drank 10 cups of 100plus and collected my medal then just go to corner and sat down. I couldn't move already.

Good thing abt this marathon:
1. Distance were stated at every kilometre
2. Water stations were adequate at every 2.5km (except for at powergell station)
3. Run around the city without much highways

Bad thing:
1. The number distribution was screwed. You cant xpect us to remeber our race ID and download it from internet. The system failure is just unacceptable reason as such big organisation, You should have a proper backup system.
2. I dont feel the exitement as I reached at 4am, the place was still quiet. No party kind of moment.
3. Useless Goody bag with just a towel. Lousy medal and T-shirt were given. No breakfast at all. And we paid RM50 for it. Just crap.
4. The massage was RM20 for on 17minutes. What the heck? If I go outside, its only RM45 for an hour. R u triying to swendle money?
5. No cheerleaders. No motivation to run.
6. Banana finished when I reached the finishing line. halo, please provide us adequate food ok.
7. No Pace makers as promised in the guide book. I was hunting for the color ballons but I could only see a white ballon which was hanging at the Flag Pole.
Such a OVERPROMISING event and UNDERDELIVERING committee.

Such a big organisation, Standard Chartered and Octagon can make "budak Kecil" mistakes. Im still considering of joining next year. Either you change Standard Chartered or change Octagon. Whatever, u must change next year.


Results of my running mates:


3'35.42 - Ronnie See, Pm1

3'46.10 - Stanley Cheong, Pm5

33'48.25 - Chen Pong Pong, Pm8

3'49.11 - Naresh Kumar, Pm37

3'58.54 - Zulazlan Shah, Pm43

4'02.00 - Meyyappa Manickam, Pm58

4'04.00 - Sam Chee Wang

4'17.26 - Choi Chik Choy, Pm42

4'20.36 - Lai Fong Sang, Pm38

4'24.00 - Kevin Chow, Pm32

4'36.20 - Lee Yee Sum

4'36.23 - Wong Kei Ming, Pm55

4'55.15 - Tay Poh Chye

5'59.02 - Frank Chong, Sub Pm6

7'03.00 - Julie Wong

No comments: