Monday, May 2, 2011

So Near Yet So Far

It was my dream to perform/contest at District level. It happened this year when I qualified for the International Speech Contest Finals. Going against giants like Stephen Fernando, Muthukumaran (2010 Evaluation Champion) and Dr.Asha (2009 Evaluation Champion & 2010 Table Topics Champion).

Though, I didn't had time to practise my speech but my mental power was strong to ensure the smoothness of my speech. With evaluations from my club members, Loghendran, Daniel Teh, James Arokiasamy, Singam, Valli and my other Toastmaster friends, I manage to craft and mould the speech to ensure the content itself will be the champion.

Although I was busy my my job, but my focus was there on the speech and performing well.

When I reach there at Penang on Friday, I was already bogged with phone calls from my office along the way till I reach the hotel. Then had to go into the election for the officers. Thereafter, practise my dance for the Friday night performance.

Though there were hiccups at beginning as my dress gave me some problem, but I manage to get alternative solution and we made the performance.

Everyone were engrossed with the show which we portrayed 1 Malaysia concept. With my special stunts, everyone amazed that Toastmasters can really dance and perform on the stage.

Soon after, I went for the briefing for the contest and I got to present as 5th speaker. In Area and Division, I was 5th also. So I felt that's good as I can feel relaxed not being in the top 3.

Friday chapter was over, for Saturday, I skipped most of the segments and only attended Ted Corcoran's and Forum segment only. Even for the dinner, I left after 4th course.

I was practising my speech along the beach at the ballroom to ensure I get used to the environment. I was really satisfied and confident on my performance.

The D Day came, I did the mike test, it was fine. Some even complained about about the stage but for me everything was fine. Although I was a bit tensed as this was my 1st District Contest, but I manage to reduce it when I mixed around with others and joked around.

Stephen Fernando was the 1st contestant, his message was not strong but the other aspects were as usual, marvelous. Followed by Grace Tan whom over acted, then by Dr.Asha, whom was not really animated and dry message.

Muthukumaran came and he talked about "The little difference" but he talked abt his grandma and daughter. It was humorous. Message there was there.

Then my turn, As I started, the flow just went on. At one point I forgot my line, but continued with another line and came back to it later.

As the red light blinks, I rushed for conclusion. I saw the timers face was sour. The claps were just OK. During break, a lot of people came and told me that I spoke well and overall I know I can qualify for top 3.

But then, the disaster happened. Thiaga and Yoges came and told me that I might have exceeded the timing by atleast 8 seconds. Damn!!!

Looks like my golden dream is going to be dashed. Even Stephen fernando and Muthu was initially worried with my performance but after knowing that I'm disqualified, they were happy.

When the results was announced, they told there's 1 time disqualification. Damn, I knew its me.

My head just went down. Naelah was beside me and try to console me but I couldn't take it.

Eventually Muthu won and Stephen got 2nd place. 3rd place went to some1 whom doesn't deserve the trophy at all.

I immediately walked out of the room and went for the lunch without witnessing the closing ceremony.

Thereafter left to KL with Victor and Thiaga. Even they weer trying to console me but it was to heavy to just leave it.

Even if i was not placed, I wouldn't have been that sad. But loosing in this manner, its really heartbreaking moment.

Div C Governor, said there are more contest to come. Make it as a learning experience and come back strong next year.

I don't know what else to say apart from I will try again.......

From Victor's blog:
"In the former, Meyyappa had the best chance of being crowned the winner and which will allow him to progress to the World Championship of Public Speaking in Las Vegas, USA. Sadly, it was not to be because he was disqualified for going over time. I am sure he is angry and upset and I know the feelings very well because I went through this same situation in my previous competitions."

No comments: