Sunday, September 19, 2010

I CONQUERED Mount Kinabalu

17th Sept was my mega achievement day in my life.

I have conquered the quest to reach Kinabalu Peak (highest mountain in South East Asia).

All this started when I attended a speech contest last month at Malaysian Institute of Accountants Toastmasters Club(MIA TMC), where one of the speaker did shared with us how he suffered to conquer the peak.

Then I told my self that within next 12months. A week later, when I went to the Gym at Royal Selangor Club, the instructor told me that he will be organising a trip to the mountain on 15Sept. But I told him that I might not be fit. He said, "bullshit" as I was actively running all the time, stamina wont be an issue for me. It's just the mental preparation and wheater conditioning.

Immediate I said "YES" and booked my ticket. There were 8 of us in the team (7 guys and a girl). A day before we depart, I met an elderly man whom I known through Toastmasters. He told me to use these mantra when I'm climbing up which was " If SINGAM can do it 4 times, Why Can't I".

When we arrived at KK Airport, it took almost 2 hours for us to reach Kinabalu Park, where we put up a night there. On the eve, one of my teammate, Harjith brought Whisky and 5 of us finished of the whole bottle. I took only 3 shots as I was worried about next days climb. Then we went for a short karaoke session before heading to the bed.

The next day, the adventure begins. We reported to the check point and got our name tags. The bags were carried by a potter as it may disrupt our journey if we carry on our own.

The venture begin at 9.32am. we followed the Mersilau trail (8.2km) longer and adventurous. My aim was of course to complete the trail and to enjoy the scenery. Thus, I followed my teamate Terry whom was going for his 3rd attempt after successfully completing 2 previously.

As we started, we broke up from the group after 200M and it was me and Terry till the base camp. Along the way, I caught some pictures towards some plants which was rare in KL and also the scenery along the hill. very 1.5km, there was a hut where we rested for a couple of minutes and refreshed ourselves with the pipes placed.

Our energy came from the chocolate bar and wafer biscuit which ensured we are energised and filled in our stomach. The trail was rocky, muddy, at certain point there was wooden staircase and stoned where water was flowing through it.

Luckily, I was wearing running t shirt where it was light. It's because, the further I travelled, more stuffier it becomes although the wheter was getting colder. At final 2km, rain started pouring and we manage to overcome it with our raincoat and finally reached the base camp, Laban Rata at 2pm.

Phew...We got into the room at the base camp and refreshed ourselves. The water was damn cold as if it was from freezer. We took our lunch and got back to the room to have short nap while waiting for the rest.

At 5.30pm, gym instructor (Faizal) and another teammate, Aiman made it to the base camp. We were wondering what happened to other for fellows.

Waited and waited till 7.30pm, then 3 of them came leaving Yoga behind. Yoga had breathing problem where the Ranger told that he should not continue the journey as it would affect his health. Thus, the had to bring him down to the health care centre.

The other 3 whom came was half dead that they didn't had adequate stamina and strength to push further.

Upon talking dinner, we slept as we need to get up as early as 1am to prepare for the final stage. When we got up, it was raining and Faizal said that we can't move since it's raining. But still we went for our supper and meet our guide, Benson. he said, if by 3.30am it doesn't stop, then we have to forget about going up since Saturday was already our flight.

Thank god, it slowed down at 2.30am, and the white ladies and men just vanished when they saw the rain slowing down as they wanted to catch the sunrise.

We had to wait as the guide advised us to move after the rain stopped because we had amateurs and 1st timers. I was just wondering, if I couldn't make it, it will be a total waste of money to travel all the way to KK and to go back empty handed.

Just as I thought, the rain stopped and we started our journey for the next 2.7km to the peak at 3.30am. As usual, benson lead the pack, followed by Terry, Aiman and myself. The other 4 was behind with another guide called, Hudson.

We went through staircase which was in rock form and there were water flowing through it. we geared up with our jacket and gloves. Furthermore, I was wearing 2 shorts and 4 shirts to cover up the cold.

As we reached 500M, that's where the real challenge begins. We had to climb up with rope where the slope was 80 degrees and certain point, the rope was side ways. That was really a mental torture. Upon that, It was like rock climbing all the way with the rope. I was just saying the mantra to myself and focused on the peak.

Reaching, 7.5km, there was a check point where you have to report your name and tag number and from there I can sort of see the peak, but it was still far. My breathing also got struggled as the oxygen reduced. Furthermore, the temperature reached "0 degrees". When I blow, there were smoke from my mouth.

certain juncture, the rope was watery due to rain and water flowing down. The glove (motorcycle glove only) really helped me. Upon the check post, Aiman was struggling and terry had to follow him with Benson.

This left me alone and my focus was to overtake the group in front of me. As I reached the group, I realised it was Malaysian celebrity " Sharifah Shahirah" and her husband. Took photo with them and continued my journey. As I reached final 100M, saw the hill towards the peak. It was just 80 degrees and I had to use my SPIDERMAN skills to perform rock climbing.

As I was moving up, I saw two 70 year old Japanese men climbing down the peak. That proved that I too can make it. My focus was not stuttered as motivations from other climbers came to my ears.

There you go. I reached the peak. And I shouted " I made it". " Terry....I made it". He showed thumbs up and came up. took pictures and enjoyed and experienced the scenery 4000 meters above the sea level. I'm even standing above the skies.

When Terry reached the peak, he told me that 4 other whom were at the back stopped at check point at 7.5km as they too had breathing problem and they turned back. Aiman whom made it just before the final 100M also failed to climb.

This means, from 8 of us only 2 made it to the peak. Phew....I realised only 30% of the Malaysian climbers made it and 99% of the foreigners makes it to the peak. It took 3 hours and 30 minutes to reach the peak.

Then we started to get down to base camp. It was another mental torture as the rocks were slippery and I was only wearing my running shoe. Towards the rope, I had to just rely on my arm strength to get down. Look like I must start working on my biceps and triceps.

Of course it was faster to get down as we took 1 hours and 50 minutes. We rested and took our breakfast before getting down to the place we started. But this time, we used other trail called "Timpohan Trail" which is relatively easier as it was only downstream with distance of 6km. And we made it within 2 and half hours.

Took our lunch at Kinabalu park before heading to KK Town which was another 2 hours journey.
we checked into Imperil hotel, 3 star only which was opposite a shopping complex.

Went for leg massage and thereafter for dinner and got back to bed. The next day, we went for body massage and shopping before heading to Airport and back to Home sweet Home.

I'm really sick now with flu and fever. My thighs' were really aching with my calves.

Hope to recover soon.

Now I'm feeling as If I have conquered the whole world. It;s an mega achievement for me. As what Napoleon said " What mind believes, Body can achieve it". Just be focus and don't let it to get distracted.

2 comments:

MW Fun said...

Congrats.

And get well soon.

pudin said...

hi, i went there with my group (ministry education).28 of 36 reached the peak.i'm the one earliest reach to peak.