Sunday, September 5, 2010

Area G3 Humorous Speech & Evaluation Contest


After being disappointed by missing out the cut to division contest for 2 terms, I have decided to look for new club which will enable me to progress from Area to Division. At the same time, I was also looking for Tamil clubs where I can enhance my proficiency in my speaking ability.

These 2 problem came with 1 resolution which was joining YSP SAH TMC (name to be changed soon). The division governor, NJ Singam, approached me to be member of the club as he wanted to revive the club and change to to bilingual Tamil club. I quickly agreed as it opens the door to move forward.

Initially, I thought of representing my home club (DKC Tmc) for Humorous and the new club for evaluation. As Murphy's law say, "If things to happen, It will happen". And it happened. Both the Area Contest and Division Contest fall on the same date and to make it worse, the division contest fall on the same time.

So I had to make a mega decision whether to represent the new club or DKC. Since top 2 winners will qualify in the Area for Division G, I chose to represent YSP SAH.

The other clubs in the Area was HELP College, Midvalley and Money&You. I knew HELP college will be my main threat, but Midvalley are the "Dark Horses".

There were five contestants for both contest. I was the first speaker, the number that I don't like. Upon computing the ballot, the results was announced and it was:

First Place: Calvin Chai (Midvalley) - spoke with broken English with no message
Second Place: Loh Chiah Hur (Midvalley) - spoke with slang and lack of humor
Third Place: Jason Moi (HELP) - over acted by making the speech with no originality

And I was unplaced. What the heck!!!!!! First time I contesting with no placing for me. Damn, I was at least expecting 3rd place.

It's alright, then the evaluation contest. Last year's incident was still in my memory where I was disqualified at the club itself. I knew I'm not going to repeat it. I was the fifth evaluator. That gave me a bit of advantage, as I had time to recall the speech, organise and rehearse my evaluation.

As I stepped on the stage, I was the only one without paper and didn't use lectern. That gave me a bit of advantage as it would attract the judges eye's.

Upon presentation, I felt confident and I knew top 2 was in my hand. And the results were announced:

First Place:Jason Moi (HELP)
Second Place: YOURS TRULY
Third Place:
Loh Chiah Hur (Midvalley)

I heard it was a stiff competition, but what I understand was I need to go more deeper on the content and the champion just overacted.

My aim to be Area Champ is still in dream. Anyway, as consolation, I'm going to Division G evaluation Contest and aim to defy the odds to win the title though Hadzrin (UEM Academy) and Jason will be my threat again to take away the title from me.


2 comments:

ben said...

now, it's over for all of us. let's just suck it in, drop it and leave it all behind lah. wut else can we do.

Forza Meyya said...

yeah man. But make it as our point to make a mega come back.