Sunday, December 15, 2013

Putraja International 12 Hours walk - 7&8 Dec

I'm taking part in walk after lapse of 9 years. I have taken part in 10 km walk for the maximum. But this tournament is different which will really test my mental and courage as I need to last for 12 hours.

I wanted to finish the season on a great note and it has to be a personal achievement and history too. As it was 1st time for me to take part in such competition, my aim was just to complete minimum of 35 km and get the medal.

When I reached there, I saw people setting up tents so that they could sleep in between and even preparing their supplements to consume during the race.

As the race started, I took it easy as if going for shopping. I was talking with my Toastmaster friend. After 5km, I realised I'm going slow, thus I took a pit stop break, then increased my pace. After 20km, I paced with Krishnan, a veteran runner and we went on till 40km.

When I reached 20km, I meet another seasoned runner and it was his 1st time too. He old me to complete at least 50km, else it will be not worth it for the effort. Thus, I switched my mode to 50km. Furthermore, to be a cash prize winner, you need to complete at least 50km.

I thought the food will be served just after the race started but they only served it around 11am. The food was nasi goreng and hot barley. Damn, how can atlete eat all that. Thereafter mee hun goreng. I took banana and lemon fish which made my stomach filled.

There were ample of water and 100plus which kept me hydrated. At 5am, the medal distribution started. I was at my 47thkm. I just walked through 3 more km and said done with it. As soon I collected my medal, I left the place and reached home at 6.45am and took shower.

Thereafter slept till 3pm.

It was a good experience for me. Now I know how to prepare for next year.


Great finishing for the season. I took 9 hours 40 minutes for 50km.

Setback
1. Food served should suit the sports event
2. More power bars should be distributed to the athletes
3. Music should be more motivating, rather than romantic songs
4. No masseurs and no muscle spray
5. Finisher T-shirt doesn't look grand compared to Penang Bridge, KL or Putrajaya Marathon

No comments: