Sunday, November 24, 2013

Penang Bridge Marathon 2013 - 17 Nov 2013

I always wanted to take part in full marathon for this event. As usual, kept postponing it, till I got the chance to take part. I made it this round as it will be the last series in the old bridge.

I left to Penang on Saturday at 3pm and arrived around 8.30pm. Then went to hotel to put up and have dinner. While travelling, I manage to get sleep around 2 hours, so that gave me some energy for night race.

After dinner, went back to hotel, to get another hour sleep and finally left to the Jeti for shuttle bus. It started raining around 10pm and was raining til I reached the starting line. The bus dropped us 700M from the starting place, so I had to walk. But it was a good warm up.

The race started on time and my aim was just to complete the race. As the race started, all were fine. I was running in front of 6 hour pacer, so I knew I was not that slow. The rain kept pouring. At least that kept me cool and hydrated.

After the u-turn at Juru toll, there was a food station and they provided cream bun. I just ate the bun and threw off the cream. I was expecting power gel at that point.

Just after few kilometres, I started feeling cramp at my left calf, but I still continued, by jogging and walking. After few more kilometres, my right calf and left ankle was also aching. This made me to walk, the rest of the race. Although there were a lot of ambulance along the way, but my mind was set to complete the task.

Certain time, I took ice cubes for the muscle and realised, that would not work, as it needs to be heated due to cold weather.

It took about 7 hours for me to finish the race. As I reached the last 500M, i tried to jog and push myself. There were cheers and support from other runners whom has completed the race as they told me to "go..go..go", "you can finish it...", "you can do it" etc.

Just after the race, I collected the medal, t-shirt and sat down near soya station.

Points for improvement:
1. Inadequate 100plus stations
2. No muscle cream or spray
3. Improper distance markers
4. Inadequate Breakfast

At least, I feel proud now that I have completed the marathon despite challenges. Next year looking forward to race at new bridge.


No comments: