Sunday, November 24, 2013

2nd place in District Evaluation Contest



It was always my dream to go and be podium finisher in the District contest. It's my 2nd time taking part at District level. Apart from winning, my aim was not to repeat the mistake i did in Penang Contest 2 years ago. Thus, I was very cautious about it.

There were total of 10 contestants and I was the second contestant to speak. Thinking about it, I had experience being 2nd contestant in the club level and 1st contestant in the area level. Thus, that gave me a bit of confidence. I knew I only have extra 3 minutes apart from the normal 5 minutes preparation.

Thus, I took a gamble, of having acronym of "CRAP" and "ER" as my evaluation points. While in the room, I just went to the corner and started to recap and rehearse on house I should present the speech.

When I was called, I want up the stage with full gear and when I shook hands with contest chair, Azizah. Just as I started, audience was laughing and the laughter got better. That boost my confidence and push to perform better. As I saw the yellow light, I knew I need to close it and when i finished my last sentence, the red light was on. At least I knew i was confident that i would not be disqualified.

As I finished the speech, thunderous applause received from the audience and I walked out from the stage confidently.

Thereafter, I went out from the room, so that i can relax my mind. As the announcement of results goes, there were 1 time disqualification. I was just hoping it would not be me.

3rd place name was announced and it went to Kyle Tham from Division W. 2nd place winner...stronger drum roles please..said the Azizah...It's Meyyappa Manickam !!!!!!

Wow...I made it...1st podium finish. I hugged Emil, then Dr,Thila. It took me at least 3 minutes for me to reach the stage as people. shaking hands, hugging and congratulating me.

Of course the winner was Robert Ram whom was the final contestant. Some said, he ha advantage to prepare for more time. But nevertheless, when comes to contest, you need to be prepared for every situation.

I took it with open heart. Just after the events concluded, it took half hour for me to get out from the hall, as people were taking pictures with me. That's where I realised my real value.

Now I can proudly says that I'm one of the best evaluators in the district.

I would like to thank Emil, Victor, Ariff, Shanker, Hadzrin and Bernard for giving me valuable input on methods to evaluate. 

No comments: