Sunday, October 16, 2011

Putrajaya Night Marathon - 15 Oct

I was my worst run for the year.

This is my 2nd night run after Energizer Run. I knew it's going to be humid due to lack of trees and open space buildings.

I just bought "K-Swiss" last month and I knew it's a bit heavier compared to a normal racer. But one of my running friend told me to try it for long run so that the shoe will get adjust to my foot step.

As I left the house in a rush due to house works and Toastmasters, I forgot the muscle plaster for my ankle, to avoid the pain to increase.

As usual, I took my bike there, so that I wont have problem in parking, and I was glad that I just got the parking at Perbadanan Putrajaya which is few steps away from the start/finish line.

I was one hour early before the gun-off, so I had adequate time for warm up and stretching. I just went for 2km jogging and I started sweating as if I ran 10km.

Then, went into the cage and push myself to be in the 1st 5 rows so that I won't stuck with the slow runners and medium slow runners. I didn't really wanted to push myself but wanted a decent finishing of 1:45.

When the race started, I quickly moved away from the slow runners group and had adequate gap behind. I knew I was in top 25 at least. I overtook Hong Zhi Shen, Bagwhan singh and few other my running friends.

Upon reaching, 10th, I started feeling tired and I couldn't push much. Then, I saw Hong Zhi Shen overtaking me, followed by Stanley Cheong. I tried to maintain the gap but I couldn't. My ankle started aching and I started to feel dehydrated.

Though there were water stations and they gave banana and water melon at certain points, I just felt like running in an oven. Reaching 12km, I was going on jogging pace and my leg was getting heavier. Then I realise, it was due to the shoe.

Bagwhan Sing and other runners whom I normally think it's peanuts to beat them, it was otherwise yesterday. Even, some veteran ladies overtook me.

The scenery was nice with lighting's on the building and musical instruments at certain juncture which boosted my run.

Upon reaching the finishing line, I just went to medical camp and took ice for my hamstring.
They did gave finisher T-shirt, mineral water and snack pack which contains bun, puff, cake and banana. But no milo or 100+ as they were shaking their legs.

There were also no proper distance markers to ensure we are at correct pace. I clocked 1:54, which is one of my personal worst.

Now I new how to prepare for night marathon and what shoe to choose for racing. I will come back stronger on the next race. Watch out for me.

No comments: