Tuesday, November 18, 2014

District 51 Humorous Speech & Evaluation - 2Nov14










It's my 3rd consecutive district contest and 2nd straight for evaluation and my maiden district contest for humorous speech. I should say, this was one of the closely contested district finals (especially for humorous speech).

Of course my aim was not to come back empty handed after previous edition. I was contestant number 5 (after stephen fernando). Thus, I had slight pressure to maintain the level of the humor king.

The audience also exited, especially when Stephen is taking part whom had won numerous times. He build the momentum and next was me. As usual, as I started, the humorous started to build and towards the end, I knew the audience were with me and the laughter went to the max.

As the stage was small, and low, but it didn't affect me, as I felt the audience were closer to me. Some audience said that I maintained the momentum after stephen's speech. As the number of contestants were 11, the later contestants had the advantage. And true enough, the top 2 of them were contestant 9 and 11. I was confident, as I finished the speech just on time for yellow zone.

After the break, I had to get ready for the evaluation contest. It was Dr.Thila, whom I'm witnessing for the 1st time in English speech. Thereafter. all of us were quarantined in a room for 5 minutes for preparation.

I was contestant number 9, thus I had some time inside to craft my evaluation speech. But it was same advantage for the defending champion as hr was contestant number 8. It's also another pressure being in the quarantine room. After a while I came out to have a different air.

When My turn comes, I went up the stage confidently and started the evaluation by saying, I was PIST with your speech." Then move on with my evaluation.

Next is the awaiting moment, "results". There was 1 time disqualification, and I thought it was me. Then the 2nd runners up was Gurmit Singh from Penang, and the 1st runners up (2nd placing) is yours truly......The champion was the same person as last year. I lost to the same guy. Looks like I had to wait for another year to win my maiden title.

For humorous speech, 3rd placing went to favorite, stephen. 2nd place went to Gurmit's brother, Jagdheep and champion was the evaluation champion.

One part I'm satisfied as not coming back empty handed but on the other, sad that didn't win.

Anyway, The tagline of "You lick chicken lice". "fei chai" remained even after the contest.

No comments: