Sunday, February 27, 2011

Area B1 International Speech & Table Topics - 26 Feb '11

It was my ultimate target for many years to be an Area Champ. And ...it Happened this year. Due to work commitment I didn't had much practice session. But I had the confidence in my script and message that I wanted to deliver.

Till the contest day, I was still thinking of my content and relevant example. If beer or cigarette can make people to distress, for me it's my running. After Saturday morning jog, while jogging I was able to picture how to deliver the speech and I manage to get some points.

As I reached teh venue, i realised there were 5 contestants for my Area which was: Benard Louis (District 1st runner up in evaluation contest), Nimmala (a writer), Thiaga (defending Area B1 TT Champion) and a rookie from Taylors college.

I knew, its going to be a tough fight, but I wanted to give the rest a run for their money. My target was to finish podium in Int speech contest and grab the title for TT contest.

As the contest started, I was contestant num 5. I liked it so that I can do some last minute preparation. When I saw Benard presenting abt driver seat, nimmala on quiting, Thiaga on Fear and other girl on love, I knew I stands a good chance if I perform well.

I went in front, I started, the audience were engaged with my speech. The more I speak, the more momentum i had and more energy in my speech. Upon presenting, a lot of them came and told me that they were touched and inspired with the speech.

Then came TT contest, I was also 5th contestant. When I entered into the room, the Contest chair gave me the topic. I was "Being vegetarian is good for life without decease". It was an advantage for me because I'm part time vegetarian. As the story pick up, I was still finding my conclusion and finally finished it.

Now it's results time....Simon Soh was behind me. He said I can grab the TT contest title. And suddenly my name was announced as 1st runners up. The champ was Benard Loius and 3rd place went to Isabel.

Then, Simon said, don't worry IT contest title will be yours. The 2nd runners up name announced, it was not me. The 1st runners up name was announced, it was not me......my heart started beating fast. The best part Benard Loius and my name had yet to be announced, which means either one of us is unplaced.

And the winner of Area B1 International Speech contest 2011 is ..........Meyyappa Manickam!!!!!!!
Wow..finally after 6 years I got it.

The winners:

International Speech:
1. MEYYAPPA MANICKAM (Deloitte)
2. Nimmala (UNITAR)
3. Thiagarajah (MAS MELOR)

Table Topics:
1. Benard Loius (D'UTAMA ADV)
2. Yours truly
3. Issable (TAYLORS UNIVERSITY)

This is my 3rd time in row that I'm placed 2nd for Area Table Topics but managed to come back with 2 trophies again as I did last year.

Now gearing up for Division contest on 19th March.

No comments: