Monday, November 22, 2010

Penang Bridge Int Marathon - 21/11/2010

My first Penang Bridge Marathon . I was eager to participate and it ended in mixed feelings.

The race started at 3am for 21km which was officiated by YB Lim Guan Eng. I took a slow start as I was stuck in the middle, where some runners were only walking/jogging, when they were suppose to run.

After 500M, I manage to come our from the group and took off a decent pace. My mistake was, I didn't study the map properly, thus I didn't know, where to sprint and where to maintain my pace. However, I had rough idea that, the "U-turn" at the bridge will be the half way mark and after completion of the bridge will be the final 5km.

I was pacing a black suit man, he looked old but his pacing kept increasing towards the bridge. When I was at the bridge, it was steep reaching the mid point. I only realise it when I run on the bridge. While running on the bridge, I could see the front runners on the opposite direction. I couldn't follow up with that black suit guy, so I had to leave him.

At the half way mark after U-turn, I clocked 46 minutes ++. So I thought, I'm still within the target timing of 1:45. Upon U turn, I could feel cold air,although the sea smell was there. That cold wheter was refreshing. Then I heard a thunder sound followed by lightning. That's where the agony started. It started drizzling when I was at 11km mark. Upon reaching, 12km, I started raining like cats and dogs.

I was fully wet. The soaked into the water and it was as if I was running with water bag tied on my leg. The advantage of the rain was, we were not dehydrated and our body temperature was still cold, but due to the weight, it was a hinder to my running pace.

Towards the final 5km, I was with Gejanthan. It was good that he paced me till the final 1km, and i realise, I have to give all out. So I broke away from him and that push made me to overtake at least 5 runners at the last 1km.

The beauty was, me and Women Champ, Emilia crossed the line together.

When I checked my timing, it was 1:47.11. Damn, my personal worst.
Upon the race, the rain didn't stop. I really felt sorry for the marathon runners. Running 6 hour in the rain.

Upon collecting my medal, I was sharing my experience with stanley and Kelvin. Then, I just got off from the venue, as my eyes couldn't take it anymore.

Good part abt the race:
1. Had shutter bus from Jetty (convenient for me)
2. Had officials at every km, although raining.
3. Officials were still serving water although they are in rain coat.

Point for improvement:
1. to have distance marker at every 2km at least.
2. to place water station at every 2.5km after 5km mark (we don't need water at first 2.5km)
3. to give out power gel/power bar before or during the race.

It was another agony when I was heading back to KL. After finishing my stuff in Penang, I took the ferry and reached Butterworth at 4pm. Most of the buses were full and some buses will only leave at 5pm or later.

As I wanted to get out from the city, I took a sweeper bus which left at 4.30pm. I estimated the bus to reach at least by 9pm. All that went up smoke, when heavy traffic started from Taiping right until Tanjung Malim. It was moving inch by inch at certain point. One of the reason was due to a lot of people heading back to KL after the Raya Haji break. I addition, there was also a road block at Sungai Perak.

To add the icing, my phone battery was dead and i couldn't even send sms to my home. Luckily, the bus stopped at Simpang Pulai for dinner break and I quickly ran into toilet to charge the phone, so that I can send a sms to my home.

Finally, I reached Jln.Duta at 11.30pm and walked all the way to Jln. Ipoh to catch a taxi.

Anyway, it was a great learning experience, and gave me a thought wheater I should go for the marathon next year.

1 comment:

ladycooper said...

Salute to all that Marathon finisher. You guys are simply awesome.

Is time to enjoy now and take a look at some PBIM 2010 runners pictures

http://on.fb.me/dzox6L
http://on.fb.me/dnJfxZ
http://on.fb.me/8YA0pW.

More pictures coming up soon.