Friday, October 17, 2014

Division D HS&E Contest - 11 Sept'14

I took some time before I could digest and come out from the moments.

It's my 2nd ever time participating at Division level for both evaluation and humorous speech. Being in Division D, representing Kuantan TMC and Area D3, gave me privilege to compete against 7 other contestants.

As it was a joint division contest, I had to be there early morning for the humorous speech briefing. The pre-contest favorites were Jamila, Sze ling and Victor Ong. I knew, the contest will be tough but I was ready for it.

I was contestant number 3 and there were 7 contestants in total. Victor started as contestant 1 and set the bar high. I voted for him to be the potential winner.

There was a point where I took off the mike and the audience wondered if I could reach them with my voice. Nevertheless, their laughter gave me confidence and stronger voice to reach them. I finished strongly, as I didn't reach the red light zone. So I knew, I would not be disqualified.

Then, came the results time. There were no time disqualification. 3rd place went to Foo Han Piew from Gamuda. The 2nd place..was Victor Ong from Tmn Indrahana. Now is the time for champion....and it was yours truly.

It's my maiden Division Humorous speech title.

After lunch was the evaluation contest, Division B was to have it first, then Division D. Thus, we had glimpse of the contestants and evaluation methods. Then was out turn. The test speaker was a good speaker, which gave us tough time to get points for improvement.

For these contest, I was against past division B champion, G.Sivalingam whom I lost to in 2007, which cost me a place at Medan Convention. Moreover, there was also Johnson Yike and Jamila whom I felt my worthy contestants.

In the quarantine room, everyone was seriously writing/preparing their notes. As contestant 5, I had extra time in the quarantine room, where we crack jokes about each other.

Come my turn, I went on stage, gave all the points that I have prepared left the stage when it was red light.

Come to results, it was mistaken that the chief judge mixed up the results for division B, so winner of division D were getting division B's certificates and vice versa.   There were no time disqualification, and 3rd place was Abu Bakar from Kelab Pidato, and 2nd place went to ..G.Sivalingam. That news really made things more intense.

And the champion goes to...S.meyyappa Manikam...Wow..Double Division champion. My 1st ever double division champion.

Moreover, it was the same room/auditorium where I lost to G.Siva 7 years ago. Apart from it, I was happy with my performance, though it was tiring staying there for the whole day.

Next up will be district contest on November 2, where I will be up against 10 other contestants from all over peninsular malaysia.







No comments: