Friday, March 8, 2013

Malaysian doing better as French




SASHINA Vigneswaran is from Malaysia. But she’s now making waves in international badminton as France’s No. 1 woman singles player.

She’s even ranked higher than all the Malaysian women’s singles shuttlers in the world rankings. Sashina is world No. 40, while Malaysian No. 1 Sonia Cheah is only ranked 49th in the world!

“My parents sent my sister (Teshana) and I to France so that we could balance our studies and badminton career. It was tough initially but I’m glad everything’s fallen into place. My sister Teshana also plays for the club,” she said.

In Malaysia, Sashina used to study at the St Mary’s Secondary School and trained briefly under the Kuala Lumpur state programme.
“I got involved in badminton at eight years old. My mother (Shantha Kumari) coaches young children at her own centre – Oncourt Sports – in Selayang but I didn’t train under her,” she laughed.

“I’m from the same batch as Woon Khe Wei, Goh V Shem and Lydia and we catch up during competitions sometimes. I have no regrets leaving.”

My comment:
I have also witnessed New Zealand & Australian players whom were Malaysian born. Is there something fishy going on in our BAM?

No comments: